single handed transpac results

Africa's most trusted frieght forwarder company

March 14, 2023 knitting group cairns 0

Unfortunately, my backup steering system, the Hydrovane, was also jury rigged due to a missing bolt. Eleven entrants made the journey, ranging from an Olson 25 to a J/109. Use this control to limit the display of threads to those newer than the specified time frame. Should wear a face covering when in public spaces. We could have a no-race committee finish and a self-managed finish line where individuals record their time. We are always learning and always sharing knowledge. However, Were not through the COVID waters yet, explained Brian. Copyright 2023. How might probability inform policy on pandemics? Every time I think Ive seen it all, my people outdo themselves and serve up the unexpected. Lost your password? Tears started again as I thought about the whole experience and everyone who had supported me. 1993 Results. My passage was plagued by light winds and assorted equipment failures. We believe that this will be a significant upgrade to the quality and variety of apparel Transpacific Yacht Club can offer its members, boat owners and crews.. Cliff Shaw on the Crowther 10M Rainbow came in midday on Monday. Congratulations to all you wonderful single handers! On July 3, the first to arrive by more than 26 hours was Kyle Vanderspek on the Hobie 33 Aloha. All Skippers of doublehanded boats not able to find crew that meet these criteria are encouraged to race singlehanded. Kauai is under stricter restrictions than the rest of the islands. Many people hesitate to change their circumstances because they fear a departure from the status quo, or because theyre used to a life of conformity and security. What a trip and achievement. They have roadblocks on the island, and they check people driving along. San Francisco to Hanalei, 2,120 nm of solo racing, starting July 2, 2016. Last edited: Jan 6, 2023 A Alan H Super Anarchist 3,699 943 SF Bay Area JavaScript is disabled. 1999 Results. There are active forum people that are going but just haven't chimed in yet. You simply cannot push it as hard due to waterline length. Contender Richard R. Loynes 14:07:50:00, 1941 Stella Maris II Dr. A. Steele 13:21:03:55, 1947 Chubasco W.L. So, thats a wrap all thats left are a few more Tree Times, culminating in the awards ceremony this Saturday. 2023 Scuttlebutt Sailing News. Who would have thought that a little kid from a Long Tang in Shanghai, a kid from an old apartment building in North Point, Hong Kong, a paperboy and janitor from New Jersey, would get to sail solo across the Pacific Ocean to Kauai? Started in 1906 by Clarence W. Macfarlane and hosted by Los Angeles Yacht Club, it is one of yachting's premier offshore races and attracts entrants from all over the world. If you register as a single race entrant, the same rules will apply. Singlehanded Transpacific Race That's a Wrap! Congratulations Falk Meissner (Shark on Bluegrass) from the Olson 25 fleet! Kyle Vanderspek is a star. All rights reserved. [8] 2017 saw Howard Enloe and his boat the Mighty Merloe smash the record by over 25 hours making the trip in just over 4 days.[9]. Thank you for considering my request!. 1995 Results. And boats may not be sequestered at all at the CYC docks. If they cant have group meetings and such, I dont think theyre going to want us in there with our boats. John on Perplexity going for his 3rd race to Hawaii in 3 years. My heart swelled. Ive used it a few times. Look for the latest information to be posted on the website, with the highlights distributed in the e-Newsletter. I was shocked, as this recently rebuilt section should have been the most reliable part of the whole boat. Year Boat Owner/Skipper Time, Transpac Honolulu Race Elapsed Time Record Trophy, "Transpac Race: Casualties in the Pacific >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News", http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/603027/Transpacific-Race%7C, "1936 Transpac victor Dorade wins again in 2013", "First ship sinks in Transpacific Yacht Race", "Trans-Pacific yacht race crew safely rescued by competitor after boat sinks", "Twice a Winner, Restored Ragtime Races in Transpac: A Legend Is Still Fit Enough to Sail Away", "Mighty Merloe and Comanche on race record pace in 2017 TRANSPAC", "URI students appear in Disney's 'Morning Light', https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Transpacific_Yacht_Race&oldid=1105544445, 1949 Morning Star Richard S. Rheem 10:10:13:09, 1955 Morning Star Richard S. Rheem 9:15:05:10, 1971 Windward Passage Mark Johnson 9:09:06:48, 2005 Morning Glory Hasso Plattner 6:16:04:11, 2009 Alfa Romeo Neville Crichton 5:14:36:20, 1923 (S.Barb.) Researchers have announced the discovery of the wreck of the schooner barge Ironton in Lake Huron, sitting upright with masts and rigging still intact and with the lifeboat that could have saved her crew still lashed to the ships stern. !Register and get the race documents HERE.The anchorage at Hanalei Bay. I immediately noticed some clicking at the upper rudder bearing. [14][15][16], The Transpac Honolulu Race Elapsed Time Record Trophy is awarded to the Record Holder for the fastest elapsed time by a monohull yacht in the race.[17]. Morning Glory was the scratch boat when it led a five-boat assault on the record for monohulls. 2007 Results. Overdid it last night, shredded another spin.. UPDATE: Race organizers contacted us to say how Shaw won the multihull division, of which he was the only boat, and not the overall despite the race results saying he won the overall. Ending Merlin's record, in the 1997 race a new monohull elapsed time record of 7 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes, and 27 seconds was set by Roy E. Disney's Pyewacket, a Santa Cruz 70 ultralight also designed by Bill Lee. If you see debris from your boat, during a beach walk, or even on a social media post, share the details using the Floating Marine Plastic Debris Accumulation Reporting Tool. We are always learning and always sharing knowledge. "Marco, you're a little close to shore, don't you think?". The Singlehanded Transpac record is held by Steve Fossett in '98 in an ORMA 60. I know a bit about the race as I've been a SSS competitor since '95, past commodore, etc. Annual membership will continue at $170/year and single race entry (SH or DH) will be $50/race. Would it be too much trouble to ask the people of Kauai to celebrate my accomplishment with fireworks? The Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race had been scheduled to run in summer 2020. Dec 14th Power Requirements/Electricity Budgeting/Communications, Feb 8th Returning the boat (By sail or freighter), March 8th Provisioning/Food, Water & Medicine, April 15th Emergency Sea Trails Cruise In. Like this year you will have the option to donate (ie, dont want a t-shirt) which saves us the money to buy and print you a t-shirt and we will add that savings to our fund to support local youth sailing programs. With the liferaft and abandon ship bags prepared, Sea Wisdom and I had to limp across the finished line. *Social bubbles are defined as stable groups of 12 people or less who have agreed to limit their social activities to only each other for at least three weeks. Hosted by the Singlehanded Sailing Society, at their Awards Ceremonies Saturday night, the 14 finishers received their coveted TransPac belt buckles, signifying successful completion of their. Kyle is an example to us all. Be the uncommon of the uncommon. If you are not planning to race and would like to volunteer, please contact racechair@sfbaysss.org for more information.All entries are required to have a 2023 PHRF certificate from YRA or BAMA (NOR 4.3) Be sure to register with the actual name(s) of the person(s) who will be aboard (NOR 6.1/6.2).Register now at https://jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00134165Thank you for racing with the SSS, and we look forward to seeing you on the water.Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair, 12/21/22Racers;I announced this at Saturdays annual awards meeting and posted it on the forum yesterday, but want to make sure that it reaches all members. What was left of the spinnaker was still acting like a kite, and Bill had to spin circles in the bay to wrap it up enough that he could anchor. Sailing solo can be as euphoric as it is taxing. Congratulations to all! Theyre currently under a 14-day quarantine restriction for anybody arriving from out of the area, which is pretty strict. Thirty-one singlehanders, who hailed from Seattle to Los Angeles, started that first SSS TransPac. This registration will be good for this seminar and all following seminars in the series. This year has been a challenge to break even financially. I think the first couple races to Hawaii were done like that. (Without satellite tracking in 1978.) However, for me, there is no greater joy than an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to wake up to a different sunrise. Fortunately, weve had good single race entrant turnout in the first three big races each year (Three Bridge Fiasco, Corinthians, and Round the Rocks) which, while it has allowed us to squeak by financially, has masked this inequity. If restrictions in Hawaii are not lifted with regards to the 14-day quarantine period, I personally see this as a big problem because people who come to greet the racers are likely to not want to go over there and spend 14 days sitting in a hotel room or house. The other gave me a big hug. That exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 are directed to stay home and not participate in any activity that may risk the exposure of others. I let it all out, like a kid. The final rules and communications plan will be available near the end of December., Regarding the pandemic, Brian said, On the San Francisco side, we could possibly not have access to the yacht harbor at CYC other than the startline. The awards ceremony in the traditional manner potentially could not be held., In summary, were moving forward with planning; we expect to run the race. 2021 Singlehanded Trans Pacific Yacht Race Forum Race Archive 2021 Singlehanded Trans Pacific Yacht Race If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. What an accomplishment and only those of you that have done it real understand the challenge!! The very next day, Kyle departed Hanalei with orange storm jib hoisted, bound for Oahu, where he would put the Hobie onto a ship. Steve Fosset set a new race record in 1995 on his 60' trimaran Lakota, of 6 days 16 hours 7 minutes 16 seconds. To be extra prudent, I slept with my EPIRB next to me and prepared the life raft and abandon ship bags. Go for the uncommon. The incredible singlehanded sailors! And they enforce it. Thanks for your ongoing support of the SSS. Ground tackle is a complete system, including the anchor itself, the rode (chain, rope, or some combination thereof, read more, French builder Dufour Yachts has rolled out another new design bringing their line to eight models from 32 to 61 feet. Callus your mind through pain and suffering.. You sign up at $50 for the race. Despite his troubles (What didnt break? he quipped), hell be declared the overall (monohull) winner of the 22nd edition of this race from San Francisco Bay to Hanalei Bay. Congratulations to all. The 22nd Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race from California to Hawaii gets underway for 11 skippers on June 19, 2021. Easy to deploy with little chance of wrapping!! Two of my fellow competitors cheered me across the finish line, even though it was well past midnight. Fireworks bigtime in Hanalei Bay on the 4th welcoming solo Transpac! Going into the Singlehanded TransPac, my primary goals were to finish and to learn from the experience so that I could design my next boat for shorthanded circumnavigation. Two sailboats and the race committee would wait for me at the finish line after dark. 1995 Results. My tears started rolling uncontrollably. A singlehanded (edit:Transpacific)race to Japan has been done. This year, our 50th entry was Chris Messanos DECEPTION, a Santa Cruz 50 that is one of many boats undergoing work with high hopes in the bargain. I dont know if I have it in me, but Id really like to try this race. Please join us for the next Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race seminar on Wednesday,Jan 11that 7:30 via zoom. Bill Stanges Westsail 32 Hula finished in the morning with a spinnaker wrapped around the forestay. I believe the catamaran is a Crowther not a Gemini. By Christine Weaver | July 7, 2021 | Hanalei, HI | 14 Between the time we last posted on 'Lectronic Latitude on Friday, July 3, and this morning, all 11 boats finished the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. Fourteen smaller boats - 22 to 30 feet - departed with reefed sails at 1300, June 15. I sat on the deck pondering this thought for some time, with my perspective as wide as the horizon. If you are registering as DH, you will be asked if you want a t-shirt for your crew. I'm planning to sail from Haleiwa on Oahu over to Hanalei Bay on ~July 14th to hang out for a bit before heading down the Napali Coast and eventually back to Haleiwa. If you are not planning to race and would like to volunteer, please contact. Surprise! Learn more about the outstanding companies that sponsor Transpac So you won't follow the SHTP because it doesn't have multihulls, got it. Congrats to all! Commodores Welcome LetterWelcome! Coming in after dark on the 4th and within several minutes of each other were Brendan Huffman on the Santa Cruz 33 Siren and John Wilkerson on the Express 37 Perplexity. Should maintain a safe distance of at least 6 feet from anyone outside of their household or social bubble* before, during, and after any SSS event. 2011 Results. And we did it. 1987 Results. There is a video available now on YouTube that can help those unable to attend to tune in on the information presented, as well as act as a reference resource for those that did attend to remind them of the material. As skipper you can select donate or a style/size t-shirt, and we either add to our youth sailing fund or the t-shirt is free, respectively. We will be coveringRigging/Sails/Repairs at SeaYou can register here:https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvceqhrTorG9D44EQZFGVEPI2YVQQykksTThis registration will be good for this seminar and all following seminars in the series.Full seminar calendar:Dec 14th Power Requirements/Electricity Budgeting/CommunicationsJan 11th Rigging/Sails/Repairs at SeaFeb 8th Returning the boat (By sail or freighter)March 8th Provisioning/Food, Water & MedicineApril 12th Anchoring & Satellite ComsApril 15th Emergency Sea Trails Cruise InMay 10th Weather & Race Strategy. Starting in San Francisco, the 2120 nm course carries the fleet to the finish line located. Race chair Brian Boschma shared news of the race's future during a Zoom meeting for SSS sailors on December 3. https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.pbcba1b542bc1e034440bd44b&T=1671595900&SORT=br, https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/attachment.php?s=d387ff0ccf94a14b592e1096ee3c2aab&attachmentid=7209&d=1644978248, https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SHTP-Results-1978-2021C.pdf. You will receive a link to create a new password via email. 2011 Results. I reduced sail, locked the rudder on centerline and let the Hydrovane do the steering. Pen Duick V was the precursor to every modern (edit:Monohull) shorthanded race boat. MBYC young sailors rule. 1987 Results. As we approach the end of 2022, weve been working on our financial plans for 2023. Great race everyone! Sailors Help Improve Data Collection on Floating Marine Debris, Spaulding Marine Center Invites You to Help Launch Boatworks 101, Prada Americas Cup World Series Starts Today. Now on port tack for the first time in days, I started looking for any unusual behavior in the boat. Robert Cleveland and Jan Passion are correct that Rainbow is a Crowther not a Gemini. The authors goals for the voyage included finding out some more about himself as much as finishing. I lost all steerage and was forced to request rescue from the US Coast Guard. We will be coveringRigging/Sails/Repairs at Sea. 2005 Results. OUTStanding, congratulations!! Mission Bay Yacht Club proud!. With incredible sportsmanship and camaraderie, they are offering help to encourage me to get to the final line not so far away.. This loss ends up being subsidized by members racing singlehanded and single race entrants. One. Guess he likes that trip! However, true to our roots as a SINGLEhanded organization, going forward t-shirts will be free to skippers (SH or DH) only. Note: when sorting by date, 'descending order' will show the newest results first. Launched in 1997, Scuttlebutt provides sailing news with a North American focus. I notice a lot of people help each other that last day. Will that be lifted? Unless it was a perfect year I don't see the ORMA 60s record falling to that boat. He originally intended to enter the race but was unaware that multihulls were not invited. The first, the 2019 Great Pacific Longitudinal Race (LongPac), was a 400-mile singlehanded race to longitude 126 degrees 40 minutes and back. 1997 Results. Every. In the meantime, were looking forward to the first race of the 2021 SSS season, the Three Bridge Fiasco on January 30. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Moving the SHTP from even years to odd years seems like a good idea. This year has been a challenge to break even financially. [11] This represents a new race record for monohulls; the multihull record of 5 days, 9 hours, 18 minutes, set by Bruno Peyron in the 1997 race, remains. The list of Los Angeles to Honolulu Record Holders is: The Barn Door Trophy is awarded each race for the Fastest Monohull Elapsed Time in the race. He said hed heard from a number of the 2020 registrants that they were coming back, with some additional people interested, for a fleet of perhaps 25 sailors. 11/30/222023 Race schedule.Registration for TBF will open on Jibeset soon! Multihulls are usually quite scarce in the the SHTP as there are few to compete against. Eleven entrants made the journey, ranging from an Olson 25 to a J/109. Dame Ellen MacArthur retired from professional sailing in 2010 and went on to create the Ellen MacArthur Foundation to promote the circular economy. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Race t-shirts have been a long-standing tradition at the SSS and we dont want to eliminate that. The MOD70s are doing the crewed Transpac, different boat. However, because she must use "stored power"[12] (a diesel engine) to move, Alfa Romeo II, sailing in the "unlimited" class, was not eligible for the traditional "Barn Door" trophy, but instead was the inaugural winner of a new trophy dedicated by Trisha Steele, called the "Merlin Trophy". As skipper you can select donate or a style/size t-shirt, and we either add to our youth sailing fund or the t-shirt is free, respectively. I was no longer alone! Learn more about the outstanding companies that sponsor Transpac Kyle is missing all the social activities, as he has to be back in SoCal ASAP. Congrats to Berkeley YC Staff Commodore Falk Meissner . Instead, I tried to stabilize the situation by minimizing any rudder movement. https://jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00134165, https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvceqhrTorG9D44EQZFGVEPI2YVQQykksT, https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/hanalei-bay-resort. Last and with the most concerning gear failure, Will Lees Hinckley 42 Souwester Competition Sloop Sea Wisdom suffered rudder bearing troubles. Next year will see the 52nd edition of a race that is famous for delivering a downwind sleigh ride across the Pacific. You sign up at $50 for the race. I learned to push the limits of my endurance, to engage in prolonged experiences of cathartic suffering to break down my inner walls, to cleanse my spirit for simpler and purer emotions, and to surpass myself. The Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association, based in Marina del Rey, had planned to run their Shaka Challenge simultaneously with the SHTP, finishing in the same place around the same time, and sharing the awards ceremony in Nawiliwili. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. The new Dufour 37 slots in just above the 32-foot baby of the family, and it replaces the previous Dufour 360 from three years ago. check out the. The race finishes in Hanalei Bay on the north shore of Kauai. Charley, the 1983 Transpac Winner On July 7, 2009, Alfa Romeo II beat the Morning Glory record for best day's run set in the 2005 race, by sailing 399 nautical miles (459 mi; 739 km) in 24 hours. I knew I had to cross that finish linefor myself, my family, my friends and for all those supporting me. For all of us whove done this race its a no-brainer, this is one of the best races in the world and were hooked for life. In the first hours of the morning yesterday, Californian and lifelong sailor Alex Merhan arrived in Kauai, not only happy to have finished the Singlehanded TransPac but also because he smashed the previous record time for the race by more than 2 days. In 1969, French sailing legend Eric Tabarly shadowed the race with his Pen Duick IV, one of the world's first trimarans competitive in all wind conditions. Heres the webcam in Hanalei where we can see you arrive! I cried because of all the love I got from this trip. I announced this at Saturdays annual awards meeting and posted it on the forum yesterday, but want to make sure that it reaches all members. As always, the 2023 Transpac fleet will feature races within the race. The San Francisco SSS offers events where singlehanded and short-handed sailors can share knowledge, gain experience, and find a structured environment to expand their horizons. The 2008 documentary Morning Light is a film about the 2007 Disney-sponsored competitors in the race. If Fiasco was too long for you to finish, or if you want to follow up a great Fiasco, this is your race! Metabiota has ideas. 2023 Scuttlebutt Sailing News. Transpacific Yacht Club. San Francisco to Hanalei Bay that starts on Sunday June 25th, 2023!There are currently 15 boats registered to race! The waving so-long to friends and family, the light beat out to Catalina, the coast disappearing astern with nothing but the ocean and the lure of tropical paradise ahead. Meanwhile, you can follow his incredible story as told through his race journal on Facebook. 1991 Results. Traditionally, thats been at the Corinthian Yacht Club. I was awarded the Perseverance Trophy for this insurmountable challenge to get across the finish line. If you are registering as DH, you will be asked if you want a t-shirt for your crew. Two years later in 1997, this record was broken by the 86' catamaran Explorer with a time of 5 days 9 hours 18 minutes 26 seconds. We talked about that this year, but no one seemed excited about it. Another possibility would be to go down the coast or go out in the Pacific and turn around and come back. The first, the 2019 Great Pacific Longitudinal Race (LongPac), was a 400-mile singlehanded race to longitude 126 degrees 40 minutes and back. He provided the following account of his journey: After 18 days at the ocean alone, I grew as a human being with newfound gratitude. To all the kids in all corners of the world: dream big. If as skipper you want a t-shirt, you select a style/size and there is no cost to you. 2021 Singlehanded Trans Pacific Yacht Race, SHTP 2021 VIDEOS: got one? I expect the first arrival to be about June 30 in Hanalei Bay. 1989 Results. But finish he did, in the middle of the night. Mission Bay Yacht Club is super proud of Kyle Vanderspek. Look for the latest information to be posted on the website, with the highlights distributed in the e-Newsletter. 2009 Results. This edition also saw the greatest number of skippers dropping out of the race. What a great achievement! [5], Ragtime finished first in 1973 and again in 1975.[7]. All doublehanded boats shall consist of individuals occupying a single household or social bubble. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot some photos and drone videos of a few boats coming in. During the LongPac, I experienced rudder failure when I hit an underwater object at 0200. On July 7, 2009, Alfa Romeo II beat the Morning Glory record for best day's run set in the 2005 race, by sailing 399 nautical miles (459mi; 739km) in 24 hours. This is particularly common in the USA offshore scene where there are dozens and dozens of boats designed and built over 30 years ago that are still cherished and raced in a variety of classic races: the Bayview and Chicago-Mac Races held annually, the Newport-Bermuda Race held on even-number years, and the Transpac from LA to Honolulu held on odd-number years. It was also a qualifier for the 2021 Singlehanded TransPac. We are not grand because we are the superior species or because we can change the environment whose unyielding powers will one day outlast us. The race finishes in Hanalei Bay on the north shore of Kauai. read more, 2023 Active Interest Media All Rights Reserved. (This article, written by Dobbs Davis, appeared in the most recent edition of Seahorse Magazine, photo courtesy of Sharon Green, Ultimate Sailing). Additionally, that impacts the race committee. In either case, if you race DH and want a t-shirt for your crew, it will be an extra $20 each race.This is how it will work in Jibeset: You sign up for season membership at $170, either during your registration for 3BF or later. 2009 Results. 1983 Results. James Wyllys beautiful Sabre 426 Northern Star arrived in the late afternoon with a very similar wrap, though this one was already doing no good as a sail. In 2013, the fully crewed monohull, Dorade, won first overall, making it the oldest boat in the fleet to win and a 2-time winner, having won the Transpac in 1936, 77 years prior. In 1995, multihulls were invited to participate for the first time, but not eligible for the Barn Door trophy. He plans to make a final decision by March 15. Large gatherings are completely prohibited, so that if thats still in place that could be a complication for our tree meetings and get-togethers at a little house we rent near the beach. Can't remember when there has been more than one in a race, rare. Details, Tags: Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race. Four days later, 19 larger boats hit the line in windy, nasty weather which thankfully improved past Mile Rock. Surprise!

Single Family Homes For Rent Phoenix, Az, Sam Kerr And Erin Cuthbert Relationship, Camp Cayuga Accident, What Was Zeus Passionate About, Articles S